Social media can be a great place to connect with new people – there are so many interesting people online and it’s so easy to find local people who share similar interests. Of course, you don’t want to come on too strong or scare them off. Building real connections online can take time but can be a great way to meet someone new – just make sure you’re doing it in the right way. Sending a message can be intimidating but I’m sharing my tips for how to slide into someone’s DMs successfully so you get a response and can start building that connection.
How the slide into someone’s DMs
- Don’t jump in all at once! Like and comment on a few photos, be seen and then slide in – don’t do this all in one day, this should be a gradual process so they see that you’re interested and engaging.
- Say something they want to respond to but keep it short, sweet and to the point. Don’t send them a novel – you’re just initiating first contact, not sharing your life story!
- Send them a compliment but be respectful. Don’t comment on something that is overtly sexual or will make them feel uncomfortable.
- Make sure you read their profile and get an idea of things that they like. Make a reference to something that interests you, like a hobby, activity they enjoy, or a book/movie they’ve shared.
- Send a voice message! This is a great way to create a more intimate connection and can pave the way for phone/video conversations down the road.
Overall, be respectful and understand that this is a little different than striking up a conversation in person. Make sure that they feel comfortable and try to find something that you have in common – it’s a great way to start the conversation! Hopefully, these tips will help you slide into someone’s DMs with success!
Need a little more help putting yourself out there? Give our date coaching packages a try and make a splash on the dating scene!