Wondering if you are dating a narcissist? Unfortunately because narcissists are so charming to begin with, often times we don’t realize we’re dating a narcissist until it’s too late.
To start, ask yourself the following questions:
- Does the person you’re dating find subtle ways to put you down?
- Is everything about THEM in the relationship?
- Does the person you’re dating have an innate sense of superiority and have a lot of grandiose stories about how great they are to back it up?
- Does the relationship feel super hot one day then entirely cold the next?
- Do you feel as if they’re trying to control you?
- Do you feel as if they never understand how you feel and lack empathy?
- Do they come off as arrogant?
- Are they ALWAYS the victim?
- Does your relationship feel one-sided?
If you answered yes to one or all of these questions, you could be dating a narcissist.
Here are 5 signs you’re dating a narcissist:
- They were immediately “In Love” with you. They swept you off your feet. It was like they were reading your mind in the beginning. Everything they said was EXACTLY what you wanted to hear. Then once you started dating, things changed…
- They run hot and cold. You never know what you’re going to get with a narcissist. One day they seem so in love with you, the next, it’s like you don’t exist.
- They find subtle ways to put you down. They find that one insecurity that always gets to you and deploy subtle ways to point it out to you. You frequently feel talked down to. They don’t seem to care or notice that they have hurt your feelings, in fact, they almost seem amused by it.
- Everything is about them. They can do no wrong and if something goes wrong, they are the victim. They have a lot of stories and accomplishments they achieved, some of which you wonder if are even true.
- Your relationship is one-sided. The thing about narcissists is they lack empathy and the ability to really bond emotionally with someone. If you feel that you’re constantly opening up and sharing yourself with your partner, yet there is this invisible emotional wall you keep hitting with them, then you could be dating a narcissist.