See someone you’re interested in and not sure how to flirt or start up conversation with them?
It’s important not to overthink flirting too much. Flirting is not as complicated as some would think and a lot of the time flirting happens organically when you like someone. With that being said, that initial encounter with someone you like can be intimidating!
For those that are struggling with ways to flirt and start up conversation, here are 8 ways to flirt:
- Make eye contact: That initial interaction really start’s with the eyes. See someone you like? Make eye contact, smile, and then look away. No creepy stares, you are just showing them you noticed them. That initial eye contact may happen a few times before either of you strike up the nerve to start a conversation.
- Smile: A smile is one of your biggest assets. Smile at the person you’re interested in. It’s a great start.
- Introduce yourself: Not sure how to spark up conversation? Sometimes it’s as simple as introducing yourself to your person of interest! From there the conversation may just flow.
- Compliment them: Another way to start conversation with your person of interest is to give them a sincere compliment. If you think they are beautiful or you like their tie, tell them! A simple compliment shows interest and helps to keep you out of that friend zone.
- Ask open-ended questions: When you’re flirting and have the conversation going, ensure to ask open-ended questions. Answering with one-word answers will not get you far. Try phrases that include, “Tell me about…” You want to eliminate the yes and no answers as much as possible.
- Friendly touching: When you really like someone, part of flirting is getting close to him or her. When I say friendly touching, I mean a light graze of their arm or you may “accidently” touch feet under the table. Keep any touching respectful and not too forward.
- Tease them: Any opportunities to tease someone, adds a light, fun vibe to the flirting. Just ensure your person of interest knows you’re joking when you tease them and do not let the teasing brink on insulting them.
- Don’t over stay: Part of flirting is knowing not to over stay. If you just met this person, have a light conversation with them, then excuse yourself and continue on with your night. If there is an opportunity there, tell them you would like to see them again and ask them for their number.
There are many ways to flirt, but the way you flirt ultimately comes down to your own comfort level. That first interaction aside, you really won’t have to over think the ways to flirt when you start interacting with someone. The chemistry with the right person will move you forward.
Your physical body might betray you, you might find yourself blushing uncontrollably, then feel insecure about that. Don’t be, there’s nothing wrong with blushing, but it is a dead give away and it makes it hard to ‘play it cool’ if that was your intended tactic. Make blushing work for you, it can be very endearing.
Just remember, flirting is supposed to be light and fun, with an emphasis on light, and less is more. Edit yourself, the thoughts running through your mind may not be appropriate to say out loud. We’ve all been hit on by an obnoxious jerk who says something overtly sexual before even introducing themselves. We are immediately turned-off, despite the fact we found them physically attractive before they opened their mouths. It’s an instant turn-off. So, keep it light, keep it short, leave them wanting more and who knows where it goes?