Interested in dating your friend’s ex? Here’s a checklist of questions to ask yourself before you embark on this potentially rocky journey:
- How long ago did they break up? If the breakup was recent, I would not recommend dating your friend’s ex.
- How serious where they? Were they engaged? Did they live together? Relationships that were more serious tend to be off limits.
- Are you sure their ex is even into you? What signs are you getting from their ex?
- Is it worth risking your friendship? Dating your friend’s ex can be awkward. Are you willing to risk the friendship or experience a change in the friendship, just to date their ex?
- Does your friend still talk about their ex? Are there still feelings there? Stay away if so.
- Is your friend dating someone else now? It could help if your friend has completely moved on and is in another relationship.
- MOST IMPORTANT: Have you talked to your friend about your interest in their ex? Talk to your friend first. Be honest about your feelings for their ex. Being completely transparent with your friend will help them to be more accepting of the potential relationship. Hopefully, you receive their blessing and can move ahead and date your friend’s ex.
Some friend’s have a rule about dating their ex. However, if this friend is really over their ex and has moved on, there is no harm in approaching the situation.
Use your intuition and judgement when it comes to dating your friend’s ex. Realistically, unless you’re really into the person and see it going somewhere, it may not be worth the risk of losing a friendship over it.
[author title=”About the Author”]