There is a stigma that a lot of single people carry around, especially if you’ve been single for a while. Of course a lot of that judgement comes from people who are in relationships and have not been single in decades. There is this idea that being single is bad. That if you’re single for a while, you must be doing something wrong or there’s something wrong with you.
What about the fact that the timing isn’t right or the person just hasn’t met the right partner? There are lots of reasons why people stay single and a lot of those reasons have nothing to do with something being wrong with them.
It’s important to as much as we can to release ourselves of judgement of single people and ourselves as being single.
In fact, there are a tonne of reasons why being single is not bad at all! So next time you’re down on yourself for being single, try and remember the best things about being single.
Here is Single in the City’s 10 Best Things About Being Single to get you started:
- The day is your own. You don’t have any responsibility. Go and do what you want today, you don’t have to worry about anyone else!
- Money! It can be expensive being a part of partnership. Buying gifts, paying for dinners and vacations etc. Right now, enjoy spending your money on you. Buy that purse you always wanted or take that trip to Europe you’ve been mulling over.
- You can get that pet you always wanted. Yay, you have the freedom to get that furry partner in crime you always wanted.
- You can live wherever you like – even in another country!
- You don’t have to worry about what a partner thinks of your looks. Grow that beard or dye that hair! Express yourself and be you.
- It’s an opportunity to focus on your friendships and cultivate new friendships. Having a loving supportive social circle is important.
- You get to have as much “me” time, as you like. Being comfortable being alone and spending time with yourself can be so empowering and grounding.
- What do you want to do in life? Are you in a career that inspires you? Are you passionate about what you do everyday? Being single is a great opportunity to really dig deep and tap into your innermost desires and take action to make them come to reality.You have complete freedom to focus solely on that career or passion.
- Time to focus on your health and your body. You have more time to go to the gym or start a cool new fitness routine, without having to work it around someone else.
- You get to learn about who you are, build confidence and love yourself: You learn so much about yourself when you’re single. It’s the one time in your life when you get to focus on yourself and learn as much as possible about what makes you happy and what you’re truly passionate about in life.
There’s nothing wrong with embracing your single life whilst waiting for the right person to come into your life. Enjoy this time and the best things about being single in this moment!